Lackey Scores Winning Goal in Sudden Death Overtime
Bookmark and Share

WASHINGTON, D.C. – For nearly three hours amongst 80 shots, 23 groundballs, and 38 saves the Lady Bison lacrosse team battled back and fourth with the Fresno State, ending every period in a tie, until quadruple-overtime where junior Courtland Lackey found the back of the net to give Howard (4-11, 0-7 NLC) the thrilling 19-18 win in the team's season finale.

In the first half the Bulldogs (0-13, 0-5 MPSF) jumped off to a 4-0 run and Lackey broke their skid with Howard's first score of the game on a free position shot. Howard went on to produce two 3-0 runs before the end of the half, pulling the Bison up to a 7-7 tie with Fresno State by the end of the first.  

Senior Desiree Cox – who entered her final game inside Greene Stadium ranked No. 16 in the nation in most goals scored with 43 – included two scores in the first. Cynithia Smalls also recorded a score in the opening half. Lackey went on an offensive attack, scoring the last three goals of the half, including an unassisted bomb into the back of the net with 0:18 left before halftime.

Exploding in the second half was Smalls who posted three quick scores for the Lady Bison. With 15 minutes into the second half Howard was on a 7-1 run and notching scores alongside Smalls in the run was Lackey, Cheryse Cox, Chastity Dailey and Desiree Cox, giving Howard the 14-8 lead. 

Before Howard could close out the game in regulation, the Bulldogs fought back with a 8-2 run, which included the game-tying goal by FSU's Kara Concheck who scored with 20 seconds left in regulation, pushing the game into overtime. 

The Bulldogs scored first in the overtime, but Ashley Lawrence tied the game back at 17 a piece to give the Bison life for a second overtime. Smalls scored first for the Bison in the second-overtime, but FSU answered back with another tying goal. 

Going into triple-overtime the game transitioned into a sudden death, in which the first team to score would take the game. The third-overtime went scoreless courtesy of HU goalkeeper Amber Meeks who blocked three shots from entering into the net. She also made a key save in the fourth-overtime, leaving room for Lackey to make her triumphant finish. Meeks recorded four saves in the overtime series and tallied 17 total in the game. 

Lackey's game-breaking goal was her sixth in the game and marked a career-high, tying Desiree Cox for most goals scored in a single game for the Lady Bison. Lackey also led the team defensively with five caused turnovers while Sydney Satchell and Ashley Foote finished with three. Foote also garnered seven draw controls for Howard. 

Desiree Cox finished with four goals, marking her eight game of the season with at least four goals. Fellow senior Ashley Lawrence scored a goal and recorded three draw controls for the Lady Bison. Cheryse Cox finished with two scores and led the team in assists with two.

With the regular 2010-11 season in the books the Howard lacrosse team will prepare for the National Lacrosse Conference Championship in Davidson, N.C. set to begin on April 28 inside Richardson Stadium. For more information on Bison lacrosse during the conference tournament, visit

Print Friendly Version